Saturday, January 21, 2006

About Us

Learning, Serving, Teaching, Inspiring,

For starters, the group is largely determined by the individuals (that’s you!). I don’t know why you came to this site, but somewhere in the back of your mind you were thinking, “I wonder if…” and that’s exactly what I want to hear about. All of us will probably have somewhat different goals of what we would like to get out of it, but here’s a little bit of what I have in mind.

Learning

“Most learning is not the result of instruction. It is rather the result of unhampered participation in a meaningful setting.” -Ivan Illich

A place for learning photography. That class you’ve been wanting to take?? Well, here’s your opportunity! Granted, it’s not a dedicated classroom, but do you really need a classroom to learn something? A bit of a tangent, I think some of the most valuable lessons in life are learned outside the classroom, but I digress. This is perhaps an oversimplification but as I see it, a formal photography class will do two things: teach you how to produce results, and give you a schedule for producing those results. Well….that’s pretty much what we’ll be doing together!

One of my goals for each semester is that those who are actively involved will come away with a portfolio they can be proud of. I’m amazed by the number of people who like to take pictures, but don’t have a solid collection of photos –even if it’s just a simple online photo album. Not only will it be fun, it will be a time of personal growth too.

Serving
Sure, we could get together every week and take pictures for the fun of it, but what’s the point?? In addition to the personal growth aspect I just touched on, it will also be an opportunity to help others. Part of using your talents is knowing when and where to use them. Below are a few suggestions of opportunities to practice what we’ve learned, with the mindset that we’re doing it because we love it and because it will be a blessing to others.

Sunday mornings at NCC -- ministries, theaters, people, etc.
Ebenezers Photos
Small Group photos
Buzz Conference
Your idea here

Teaching
It’s often said, “If you want to find out how much you know about something, teach it to someone else.” Everybody has something to teach to somebody else, and I’m not talking strictly about photography. A large part of coming together as a group is so that we can share experiences and learn from each other. I hope to create an environment where we can show what we’ve learned along the way, so that others can benefit from it.

Inspiring
This one is really not a different category, per se, but rather an atmosphere I hope to create. Initially, I thought the “Inspiring” aspect should be synonymous with “Teaching.” However, after putting more thought into it, I realized that I hope everything we do is inspiring! I hope we’re serving in ways that cause others to take notice, and I hope our enthusiasm for learning is contagious. There are those who merely live, and there are those who inspire others to come to life.

1 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Blogger Markissaearle said...

Hello!
I was just wondering if this "group" is still going in Washington D.C. area, and if so what is the calender like for the summer months this year? Cheerio
-Melissa E Earle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home