Tuesday, March 14, 2006

D.C. is for Dupont Circle

Sure, it has its share of interesting characters, and you won't fit in unless you've got your iPod out and your Pumas on...but Dupont Circle is the place to be this Saturday.

Since we've got a couple of good weeks of shooting under our belts, I suggest that we stage what I'll call a "feedback frenzy" this Saturday.

Every time I look at the Yahoo Photos site I am amazed at the stuff you guys have shot. I am looking forward to finally getting a chance to share what we like about those shots with each other.

Here is how it will play:

Pre-game Prep:
-Pick several photos that you think are your strongest so far. Then pick a few that you don't like as much, ones that demonstrate an area in which you want to improve. (Trust me, you'll want to bring photos....read down to the end.) Either upload them to the YahooPhotos site, burn them to CD or put them on a USB drive, or bring your prints to share.

Game Day:
-Grab your camera on Saturday morning and try to shoot on your way to Dupont Circle. Maybe tell the story of how you got from point A to point B. It is never too early to start shooting, and this is a good exercise to force us to use the camera even when we're not in the group. (Even if you've driving, you can get some pretty cool shots. See what Kacey did at our Eastern Market shoot.)

-Meet at the cafe in Books a Million around 11:00am. (11 Dupont Cir NW) for some discussion and to look at slideshows of the work we've brought. That's right...we're going multimedia this week. I will have a laptop set up so that we can all look at each others' photos.
(If you have any trouble getting there, or just feel like prank-calling us on Saturday, my cell # is 202.489.7125)

-Somewhere in there we will grab some grub. (I'll try to pack my lunch and bring it.) If the weather is nice enough, we can go to the benches at the circle and eat.

-When we've reached critical mass, or around 12:30, we head 2 blocks south on 19th St. to do a PhotoShop lesson. That's right, I've arranged for all of us to have some quality "computer time" at the design firm where I work. We'll hover around 3 or 4 workstations and teach each other a few tips and tricks in Photoshop. (A good scanner will also be available.) This is where those photos you brought come in really handy. At the end of the session, we can burn CDs to take home our finished peices...just like kids in kindergarten.

So, yeah. Get ready for a "Feedback Frenzy"...cuz while we've got each other, we might as well learn from each other. (But if no one brings photos to share, we'll just have to spend the entire morning pointing out the flaws in Stephen's pics on the Yahoo Photos site.)

Any questions? Email me or add a comment.

-Laura
202.489.7125
lauraeagin@hotmail.com

P.S. Stephen, my Dupont Circle could whoop your Crystal City's square-cement block any day.

P.P.S. For those who were expecting another side-splitting post from Stephen: I'm sorry. Assuming the group survives this Saturday, he'll be back next week.

3 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Man, this is getting in tents! Bring it, oh ye padawan Larua!

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I can't help it.

The tent city is so popular that we're now thinking of incorporating and taking on the name Mos BestEvah.

-L

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If I didn't know any better, I would say YOU are just as full of hot air as I am! ...maybe even more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home